Saturday, March 1, 2014

They're Pretty Eurocentric..#textbooks

I personally really liked the reading and I think his argument is convincing.  In a way, I'm not surprised or appalled by how he admitted how eurocentric history is presented to students in this country.  I think that's mostly because of how I grew up. I've always wondered why there was focus on European history and why almost all of my teachers were so outwardly..proud of it (that's the best word I can think of right now.)  I think I just liked his argument because it's kind my perspective on how history was always presented to me, so my reaction to this was that it was a good argument. 
I think Bentley and Ziegler do what Loewen says most history textbooks do, but they don't fluff it up like the examples in his argument.  Bentley and Ziegler pretty much assumed the reader has already heard about Christopher Columbus and they don't really reiterate his famous story.  They do say that his voyages had "momentous consequences" which is pretty accurate but vague.  In a way, they kind of try to side step stereotypical history textbooks but they aren't that much better than most authors. 

1 comment:

  1. um, midnight blue font? on a black background? really?

    ReplyDelete